Saturday, 8 November 2014

Bonfire Night





On Thursday the UK celebrated bonfire night (a night to commemorate our government not having been blown up hundreds of years ago) and I had been told that the Lewes bonfire night celebrations were a must see for anyone who lives in the Brighton/Hove area so I grabbed a few of my flatmates and hopped on a train (or rather queued for half an hour to get on a jam packed train) to the nearby town of Lewes. I was not disappointed by the evening.
Lewes is a small, historical town and apparently it is best known for it's crazy bonfire night celebrations. There were parades of fire, firecrackers and canons all evening and thousands of people lined the streets to see them. Once a parade group walked past with 500 firecrackers on a string and set them all off at once which was a slightly blinding/deafening experience but fun nonetheless.
After the parades there was a massive bonfire lit in a field and firework displays all across town. We actually got hot chocolate and gingerbread men from a stall in the street and climbed up the hill to the golf course as there you could watch all the displays at once without having to pay for them. We did sacrifice the warmth of the fire though and so by the time we left I couldn't feel my feet.

9 comments:

  1. Great pictures! I wish I had been to a bonfire night.

    Paige xx
    Skin & Roses

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bonfire night is one of my favourite holidays as it is so British and it really singles the moving from autumn to winter I think.

      Delete
  2. Sounds amazing - will definitely have to check it out one year!

    The Velvet Black // UK Style & Beauty Blog

    ReplyDelete
  3. This looks awesome, I might have to go next year.

    http://worldbloggers.net/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You really should. The pictures don't really do it justice but it was hard to get good pictures when everything was so bright and extremely crowded.

      Delete
  4. Sounds like a great night, especially the hot chocolate and gingerbread x
    eleanor's adventures // UK Fashion & Beauty Blog

    ReplyDelete
  5. I feel like I got a mini history lesson just now. Bonfire night sounds pretty darn interesting. Hot cocoa & gingerbread men sounds amazing as always. :] // itsCarmen.com ☼ ☯

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha I don't know how accurate my history about it is but it's something to do with Guy Fawkes trying to blow up the government buildings but not succeeded in like the middle ages.

      Delete
  6. It must been a great night, very nice pictures!
    You have a lovely blog Katy and I will be happy if we follow each other
    Just let me know in my blog please, have a nice day doll!
    Alisa

    http://www.alisagromova.com/

    ReplyDelete